Sunday 23 August 2015

New York - Day 5


So day 5 was our final full day and we had scheduled a trip to Coney Island in Brooklyn. I was so excited because I had not been before and I was looking for a relaxing day. The problem was - It was cold and raining! Not wanted to be defeated we still set off.
On the way we stopped for breakfast in iHop - because its 'Merica and you have to. I had an American version of a full breakfast, followed by pancakes - and I enjoyed every mouthful. The American version of a hash brown is just so yummy, it's making me hungry thinking about it. I went to iHop in New Orleans last year, and they do have the same grubby look to them, and a bit of an odd smell, but the food is too good to care.


We then hopped on the subway for an hour journey into Brooklyn, where we eventually got to Coney Island. For those who don't know, Coney Island is a beach in Brooklyn, which a big funfair. It is probably really good - when its not raining and things are actually open. The first place we went was a big sweet shop. We stocked up on some American candy and set off to explore. There was lots of food places and little shops, most of which were closed. I'm not sure if this was due to the weather or the fact it was Sunday.  There was lots of rides and different sections to the fair/theme park, but again, most things closed. The place did have a good atmosphere though. Everything seemed a bit old fashioned - but in a cool vintage way if that makes sense - see 'Nathans' below and you might understand. 




So after a pretty unsuccessful trip to Coney Island - so disappointing. We headed back to Manhattan. Our next port of call was The Brooklyn Bridge.  The weather was still pretty gross so it wasn't going to be a long visit.
I didn't realise ho big this bridge actually was. We seemed to be walking for ages but not really getting very far. However we walked up to a good selfie point - because thats what it is all about right?


By the evening I just wanted to sleep - I'm super lazy I know. But my friend had other ideas. It was time for the night time view of the New York Skyline at the Rockefeller Center , and I'm so glad she made me go. It was incredible.
We got there at 9.30 pm and there was an hour wait - so make sure you plan in advance. The good thing was, your ticket gives you an assigned time - so you're not spending that hour queuing. Its open until midnight, with the last elevator going up at 11pm, and a ticket cost $30. The experience was brilliant. When you get in the lift, the lights go out and the ceiling is glass. All the way up there is - fairy lights so it looks like you are going into the stars.
The day we visited the Rockefeller Centre was also the day the Gay Pride parade took place in Manhattan. So we were lucky enough to see the Empire State lit up like a rainbow to support it. It was super pretty. I would definitely recommend the night time view of Manhattan. I'm secretly glad my friend didn't let me sleep - as much as I moaned at the time.





No comments:

Post a Comment